Physical Activity – do it for life!
It’s time to get off our couches and get in-motion! October 4th – 10th is in motion week.
We know sometimes it’s hard to get motivated to get in motion so we hope these games and activities help you get started!
- Set a timer and power clean the house – get the kids involved and make it a race.
- Make a commercial challenge while you watch TV – hold a plank, do a few jumping jacks each commercial break.
- Have an active family game night. Include games such as Twister, tag, hide-and-seek, and charades. Workout without breaking a sweat at the gym.
- Put on your favourite songs and have a dance party. Dancing will assist in strengthening your bones and muscles. As your strength increases, you will have more energy to continue dancing.
- Make a commercial challenge while you watch TV – do a few push-up or jumping jacks each commercial break. Trying holding a “plank” while waiting for your show to return from commercial.
- Create a workout routine using household objects. Here’s some examples:
- Fill a jug with sand, water, or unused kitty litter.
- Lift canned goods.
- Make a weighted medicine ball by filling an old basketball with sand.
- Use paint cans as dumbbells.
- Use a laundry detergent bottle as a kettlebell for kettlebell swings.
- Use a folding chair as a bench for triceps dips.
- Use a backpack full of books as a weighted vest and then go for a walk.
- Use a beach towel as a yoga mat
Spell out your full name and complete the activity listed for each letter (create a graphic):
(A) Jump up and down 10 times
(B) Spin around in a circle 5 times
(C) Hop on one foot 5 times
(D) Run to the nearest door and run back
(E) Walk like a bear for a count of 5
(F) Do 10 push-ups
(G) Do 10 jumping jacks
(H) Hop like a frog 8 times
(I) Balance on your left foot for a count of 10
(J) Balance on your left foot for a count of 10
(K) March like a toy soldier for a count of 12
(L) Pretend to jump rope for a count of 12
(M) Do 2 somersaults
(N) Pick up a ball without using your hands
(O) Walk backwards 20 steps and skip back
(P) Walk sideways 20 steps and hop back
(Q) Crawl like a crab for a count of 10
(R) Walk like a bear for a count of 10
(S) Bend down and touch your toes 20 times
(T) Pretend to pedal a bike with your hands for a count of 12
(U) Do 10 sit-ups
(V) Flap your arms like a bird 25 times
(W) Pretend to ride a horse for a count of 15
(X) Climb an invisible ladder for a count of 15
(Y) Walk on your tippy toes for a count of 15
(Z) Do 3 cartwheels